This class will occur live in the Zoom virtual classroom. You will receive a link to join the live session in your registration confirmation email, following registration. Your registration confirmation can also be found by logging into your profile and viewing “Current Registrations”.
First time attending a virtual classroom class?
- No Zoom account necessary! You’ll be receiving a password-encrypted link to enter your class, which will prompt you to download the Zoom software or join directly from your favorite web browser. Just one click, and you’ll be taken straight to your virtual classroom, no extra log-in required.
- Want some tips and support? Check out the Zoom “Getting Started” page for technical support.
- Check in early! Your instructor will “open” the classroom 15 minutes prior to the start time of the class. Students are encouraged to join early, so class can begin on time.
- Join with your name. All students must be admitted by the instructor, who will be comparing against the class roster. Please enter the name you used at registration to join the Zoom meeting; you may use just your first name and last initial, if you would prefer. Note that if you are logged in to the Zoom software on your computer, your name cannot be changed until you are admitted to the classroom - try logging out if you’re having trouble.
- Turn on your camera! If you have a webcam, we recommend turning it on so that your teacher and fellow students can see you, and you can see them. Nonverbal feedback is so important to human connection, and makes the virtual classroom feel more like the brick and mortar one. The camera button is the the bottom left corner of Zoom.
- Consider your background. If possible, try to keep a neutral space behind you, like a wall or curtain. If you don’t have one available, try out the Virtual Background option to keep your personal space, personal.
- Mute and Unmute! We’re all navigating the realities of sheltering in place, and your environment may be noisy. It’s good practice to mute your microphone while you’re not speaking - just don’t forget to unmute when you’d like to speak! You can find the mute/unmute button in the bottom left corner of Zoom.
- Need to get your teacher’s attention? Use the nonverbal feedback tools to raise your hand! Click on “Participants” on the bottom bar of Zoom to find the “Raise Hand” button.
- Chat and ask questions. Click on “Chat” on the bottom bar of Zoom to open the chat window. You can type a question into the chat window to get answered later, discuss with your fellow students, or respond to your instructor.
- Don’t forget to log out! Once class is over, be sure to close out of the meeting platform entirely by clicking the “Leave Meeting” button.