The Cabrillo College Dental Hygiene Department has been approved by the Dental Hygiene Board of California to offer the RDH Expanded Duties Certification course, which includes the administration of Nitrous Oxide, Local Anesthesia and Soft Tissue Curettage. All three certifications must be completed concurrently. Participants must have an active dental hygiene license from a US state or Canadian province, graduated from an approved program or be currently enrolled as a senior student.
COURSE FORMAT: This course includes both online and in-person clinical exams.
- The online modules require approximately 22 hours of online work and is available to participants four weeks prior to the clinical portion of the course. Participants must have access to high-speed internet and the ability to download software programs such as Adobe PDF Reader, and Adobe Flash. Computers used should be equipped with a DVD or CD-ROM drive. All modules must be completed and passed by 75% prior to beginning the clinical sessions of the course.
- The clinical sessions of the course are held on-site at 6500 Soquel Drive, Aptos, CA 95003 in the Cabrillo College Dental Hygiene Clinic.
All online curriculum must be completed prior to the first in-person clinical session, otherwise, the participant will not be allowed to complete the course. It is the participant's responsibility to contact the Cabrillo Extension office to arrange rescheduling participation in the next course offered. Completion of the course must be within one (1) year of the original enrollment date.
Participants must provide the following documentation to be eligible for the course by emailing these proofs to email@example.com at the beginning of the online component of the course.
- Proof of current CPR certification
- DH licensure status or as final semester DH student in good standing
- Proof of Current Malpractice Insurance with $1,000,000 minimum coverage. A student policy is sufficient. To purchase, visit HPSO.com. Please ensure that Cabrillo College is listed as a certificate holder exactly as follows:
Attention: Dental Hygiene Department, Post Graduate Studies Coordinator
6500 Soquel Drive Aptos, CA 95003
Patient Requirements: All participants are required to fulfill a total of five (5) patients, (2) of which are partner patients on fellow participants, and (3) of which are “outside” patients and are required to be available the last two days of the on-site clinical component of this course. Participants may choose to either provide their own (3) “outside” patients or draw from our “patient pool”. Please contact course facilitator if you choose to utilize patients from the “patient pool”. It is the participant’s responsibility to compensate each patient utilized from the “patient pool” $100 for their time per clinic session. Please notify course instructor if an MD clearance is required prior to receiving treatment.
Instruments: We provide all clinical instruments, aspirating syringes, barriers/disinfectants, gauze, gloves, masks, lab coats, anesthetic, needles, nitrous nasal hoods.
Note: Due to the use of nitrous oxide, it is not advised for individuals who are or may be pregnant to enroll.
The registration deadline for this course is July 22, 2020
For more information, please contact:
Elicia Hammond, RDH